Thursday, April 9, 2009

Private Schools


I chose to look further into the private school system because I have always been in public schools and there has been a constant debate as to which were better. I personally believe that either school you go to you're going to end up with the same education because the same material is being taught in both schools and both have well-educated teachers in their classrooms. Another reason I would chose a public school over a private school is because public schools are more diversified. Which means that even out of the classroom students will be learning new things because they will be around students who are culturally different from them. Private schools set admission requirements and fees which means that only a certain group of students may qualify for the school whereas public schools must accept everyone, without discrimination. I also like the fact that public schools teach to everyone of every culture and religion and not just focus on one because it allows students to make their own decisions and not be forced into one belief because that is what's being taught.
One thing I learned from my readings was that not all private schools are religious. Private schools that are not religious vary in focus, structure, social organization, and size. I also didn't realize that private schools receieve no tax support. I always thought that they just had a lower amount than public schools. The support of private funds gives private schools a step up financially over public schools but that doesn't mean they are any better suited to deliver an education.

No comments:

Post a Comment